May 31 Reuters – Sportech PLC:
* US SPORTS BETTING PLATFORM AGREEMENT
* SIGNED A COMMERCIAL SPORTS BETTING AGREEMENT WITH SPORTRADAR AG
* AGREEMENT WILL BE ENABLING GROUP TO OFFER A FIXED ODDS SPORTS BETTING BOOK IN EMERGING US SPORTS BETTING MARKETPLACE
* SPORTECH WILL BE ABLE TO OFFER SPORTRADAR’S TRADING AND RISK MANAGEMENT SERVICES IN ANTICITED ROLL-OUT OF LEGAL SPORTS BETTING IN US
* SPORTECH WILL ALSO DEPLOY SPORTRADAR’S TURNKEY SPORTS BETTING PLATFORM ACROSS ITS RETAIL BUSINESS IN CONNECTICUT WHEN LEGISLATION PERMITS Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:
Stoke City Football Club is sponsored by bet365, an online sports betting firm.Nigel French WireAP file
The rise in remote gambling now allows British customers to change their bets or cash out during a game, poker domino and also make bets well beyond the final score, like the number of yellow cards issued, the time of the next goal or the number of free or corner kicks.
Viewers of soccer games on British commercial TV channels have been bombarded in recent years by half-time betting advertisements, including some offering live odds based on what’s already happened and what might happen.
While gambling-related ads are banned before 9 p.m. on British TV, largely so children aren’t exposed to them, sports broadcasts are exempt.
A study by the BBC found that in all matches aired across the main commercial soccer broadcasters, 95 percent of them featured at least one betting ad.
Sammy Ameobi, who plays for the Bolton Wanderers, climbs over an advertisement warning against the pitfalls of betting during a soccer game at Cardiff City Stadium on Feb. 13.Carl Recine Action Images file
While soccer players are prohibited from betting on games and endorsing such firms, some critics worry about the impact on young fans of having betting brands emblazoned across team uniforms and being bombarded by betting ads on TV.
“What most people are concerned with is how it might encourage children to identify with certain brands, or develop brand loyalty to these brands long before they’re even allowed to use these products,” said Carwyn Jones, a professor of sports ethics at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Tom Watson, an opposition lawmaker and the deputy leader of the Labour party, has even called for a ban on betting companies sponsoring U.K. soccer teams.
‘OPPORTUNITIES FOR CORRUPTION’
The availability of bets on seemingly minor outcomes within games has caused issues.
“What that creates is low-consequence opportunities for corruption,” Jones said. “So you can be corrupt without losing the game.”